Friday, August 12, 2011

The First Line in Animated Defence: Storyboarders

By now we’ve all met Wickus and Kay, the storyboarders on our latest season of Supa Strikas.

But do we really know them? Where do they come from? What do they want? What are their surnames?

Only Strika Blog asks the questions you want to know (and never knew you cared about):

Strika blog:

What were you up to before Strika reached out and touched you?

Wickus Coetzee:

When I moved to Cape Town from Pretoria (originally from all over South Africa) I started straight away with storyboarding for two international shows. After that I was illustrating 14 issues of a Hercules children’s book as a freelancer.

Kay Carmichael:

Sitting at home, unemployed for six months after a bad studio experience. I’ve been at three other studios, mostly working as a 2d animator (ironically drawing much less for that than I am now) and generally bopping between Johannesburg, where I’m from, and Cape Town, where I like to be.

Strika blog:

What did you study and why?

Wickus Coetzee:

I studied Graphic Design and honestly I don’t know why… but then did some courses on Film and photography. I love Visual story telling.

Kay Carmichael:

I studied Animation Directing at AFDA JHB - quite by accident - I was there to study writing originally. But the megalomaniac Disney nerd in me had its way and I found myself storyboarding, directing and animating stories as well as writing them. Actual competence came later.

Strika blog:

What’s your fave animation?

Wickus Coetzee:

Favourite… mmmm not sure. Truly I like most animation.

Kay Carmichael:

Beauty and the Beast!

Strika blog:

Who’s your fave Supa Strika?

Wickus Coetzee:

I would say Klaus and El Matador: they are just such fun characters to board.

Kay Carmichael:

Dancing Rasta’s my favourite; he climbs freaking Everest to relax.

Strika blog:

What are your hopes for Supa Strikas and your time with Strika?

Wickus Coetzee:

My hopes for Supa Strikas would be that it grows even more in popularity. And if I could be a part that, Awesome!

Kay Carmichael:

I hope to have a long and fruitful stint at Strika and I’d love to get into the comics side and learn as much as I can there.

Strika blog:

What do you think is the future of Supa Strikas and Shakes?

Wickus Coetzee:

A movie of course!

Kay Carmichael:

I think Supa Strikas will soon have a real-life team representing them (dinosaurs included), and discover alternate universe versions of themselves as an all-girl team :-)

Strika blog:

Riiiigghht…

And now you know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home